Hometown Teams Exhibit Application
The Mount Vernon-Lisbon Community Development Group will host a traveling exhibit from the Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street program in Mount Vernon from March 18 to April 29, 2018 on the first of a six-stop Iowa tour. “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America” -- curated by the Smithsonian with interactive displays and museum quality artifacts -- examines how and why hometown sports are more than just games.
We need your help telling the story of your community’s sports legacy and heritage. We invite you to fill out this application to share with us how sports have influenced and shaped your community to help us select local stories for inclusion in the exhibit. Our goal is to assemble a diverse exhibit that shares a variety of local hometown teams and memorabilia. Space will be limited in the exhibit so unfortunately not all applications can be accepted. Applications will only be reviewed from school districts in Benton, Buchanan, Cedar, Delaware, Iowa, Johnson, Jones and Linn counties.
1. Select all applicable categories that you would like us to consider for inclusion in the exhibit. By selecting a category, be prepared to have stories and memorabilia to support the nomination.
Track and Frield
2. Briefly explain your nomination for each selected category. Use additional pages if necessary.
1. How has sports shaped your school and community?
2. What artifacts -- sports equipment, pictures, etc. -- do you have to support your story?
3. What did your athletic program look like in?
4. What sport is your school most known for? Why?
5. Does your school have a rival? If so, who is it and what is the rivalry’s history?
6. What obstacles has your school’s athletic program overcome?
7. Tell us about a moment or event that changed the directions of sports at your school.
8. Have any controversies shaped your athletic program?
9. How and when did the women’s athletic program start at your school. What have been some successes and struggles?
10. Tell us about the impact of minorities in athletics at your school. What have been some successes and struggles?
11. Who are the athletes, coaches, and/or booster members who have left a legacy at your school? Please list names and a brief summary of their story. (These individuals may be considered as an MVP of the exhibit)
12. How have athletics impacted your community’s economy?
D. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
1. What websites -- booster club, school, etc. -- should we review for additional information?
2. Would you be interested in hosting a community day at the exhibit?
Do Not Fill This Out